I need to appeal a judgement in a civil case. Ohio. None. I…

Customer Question
I need to appeal...

I need to appeal a judgement in a civil case

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None. I just got the judgement

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just appealing the case

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Legal
3/29/2018
Lawyer: Sean K, Lawyer replied 28 days ago
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

There are a variety of options available for appeals in civil matters in Ohio. Some of the relief, by way of reconsideration, stays of judgement, new trials and relief from the judgement can be made initially in the Court where the judgement was rendered. This would allow you to have the matter addressed first at the trial Court.

Be aware there are timelines on all of the appellate procedures.

if the case is going to go to the higher Court, it would go to the appropriate appellate district in Oho.

One good thing about Ohio is that there are a number of resources that are available, unlike a number of states, that organize everything you may need as to where to file, particulars on specific motions, even rules for both the appellate courts and the Supreme Court if it was to progress that far.

I have attached a link here to this resource, assembled by the Hamilton County Law Library that is extremely comprehensive.

That all having been said, if there is anything further or specific you would like to ask, please let me know and I can assist.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I went to the stow municipal court site there is no connection to the appeal

So did they not have the judgement available for you? Or did they not have any assistance for the appeals process?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
No assistance for the appeal process. They directed me to the ninth district court of appeal

Typical.

The procedure would be to determine the exact route you want to take. If it is a review by the trial judge, you could make a motion for reconsideration or to set aside the judgement back to the trial Court. Those procedures are covered on the link I sent.

If you determine that you just want to proceed with an appeal to the Ninth District - the link to their information is here. If this is the way you end up going, the roadmap for you would be found here in this overview.

There may be resources available from the Appellate Clerk of Court as well.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I did not get a link to the first option ,

That link is here

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Can I do this by myself or should I hire a lawyer the amount of money involved is less then 2000

I believe an attorney would probably charge more than $2000. For that amount in controversy I would say follow the rules and procedure I sent.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I am going to file tomorrow if I have any more question can I ask them as they come up

Please do.

Sean K
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer