How are you. South Carolina. Filed a criminal complaint.

Customer Question
Hi how are you ...

Hi how are you

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Filed a criminal complaint

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Dont think so

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/29/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.
What can I answer for you? I've read what you wrote but I don't see a question listed.

My business Partner has removed me from several accounts, we are 50% partners. One of the accounts he impersonated me with my name and social security number to close the account, I have filed a criminal complaint for that account but the investigator asked if I had damages and im not sure how to answer since the account was closed. What options do I have?

The very fact that he impersonated you to get some kind of financial act to occur is fraud in and of itself - and it's a crime. Yes you have to prove damages or some type of injury but that is frequently easy to do - no having access to an account, stealing (and therefore knowing) your social security number ARE injuries/damages. This is a really good article on fraud: https://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-is-fraud-1

You can sue him to have yourself added back to the accounts - if that's what you're looking to do, you can sue him to dissolve the company, you can file another police report and/or follow up on your existing report. It's just a matter of what you want to accomplish :) Please let me know if that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, if you wouldn't mind could you please take a moment to submit a rating. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively. 5 STARS is always appreciated! You can still ask follow up questions after rating - and of course please ask if you need clarification to anything I've written. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

Would really like criminal prosecution. Since I am already suing civilly for the bank accounts and with holdings and money he has taken.This was just the one case where he used my identity to close a company credit card where he did not have authority to preventing me from accessing or having rights to accounts. Any thoughts on how to connnect damages to this one instance?
What laws protect against the use of my social security number to impersonate me to a bank?

Laws against fraud, impersonation, embezzlement - taking and using someones social security number is ***** crime and people go to prison for that - but it starts with filing a police report and pursing it!