I puchased a ring from an estate thrift store I went to a…

Customer Question
I puchased a ring...

I puchased a ring from an estate thrift store I went to a local establishment used the bathroom and left the ring. I got back to work and immediately phoned and was told the ring was turned in to the front desk I left my name and number when I returned to get it I was told it was gone. I took a photo of the ring to Jarred Jewelers and received a estimate of well over $5,000. The facility refuses to take responsibility and compensate me someone took my ring and I did file a police report

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Filed a police report and requested the office submit the lost to their insurance company.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was told by a controller that if I had insurance they may do something?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/29/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

This sort of situation could go either way. From one perspective, if a customer leaves something behind it's not the store's responsibility. The flip side, however, is that they DID take responsibility for it - meaning they took possession of it and presumably told you that it would be waiting for you when you arrived. And then they lost it. So that makes it much more likely that they would be liable than if it had just simply been left in the bathroom and the store really didn't know anything about it. However, this is definitely a matter that would require filing with the court if the store is unwilling to provide you with a refund or a credit. I hate to point people in the direction of litigation - since obviously there is a cost associated with that - but unfortunately if they won't pay and their or your insurance company won't cover the cost, that leaves litigation as the next step. Please let me know if that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, if you wouldn't mind could you please take a moment to submit a rating. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively. 5 STARS is always appreciated! You can still ask follow up questions after rating - and of course please ask if you need clarification to anything I've written. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.