I just received notice from the management corp. Of my

Customer Question
I just received notice...

I just received notice from the management corp. Of my apartment that my lease will not be renewed.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There are no specific reasons stated in the notice I received.

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Legal
3/29/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 27 days ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

I have read your comments, but I am not sure what your legal question is?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I would like to stay in my present apartment. What can I do to argue the notice to vacate?
Thank you

Unfortunately, a lease can only be extended once it expires if both the landlord and tenant agree to do so.. One party can't force the other to continue on with the tenancy.

.

So in the same way they couldn't force you to stay if you wanted to leave, you can't force them to rent to you longer if they don't want to.

.

With that said, your only recourse here is to contact them in writing and let them know you would like to renew and would ask that they reconsider renewing the lease.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I see. Thanks

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time, even though the news was kind of lousy..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 25 days ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney