I was a renter in a private home, I have a no contact order…

Customer Question
I was a renter...

I was a renter in a private home, I have a no contact order on me, when I went to unpack my stuff, I've about $2,500 of my stuff that is missing. I did not get to pack my stuff, the owner of the home did. What can be done? This is in the state of MN. Thanks Shelly

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a MN lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I'm very limited, as there is a no contact order, I'm not able to talk or have any contact with him.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I just need some help in getting my money from this guy.

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Legal
3/29/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 21 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
OK thanks

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. This to me sounds like a conversion if you have reason to believe the owner took your things without your permission while packing it. Conversion occurs when there is a substantial interference with the personal property rights of another. This is possible when either a person is blocking the rights of another’s right to the personal property, even if that person had authority to possess the property, but that right was taken away by the owner (e.g. the owner took away permission from the person currently in possession). Usually, the measure of damages is the fair market value of the property at the time of conversion or a return of the property itself. For example, a vehicle that is worth $4,000 at the time the owner’s access was blocked is likely what a court would award. You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter advising that the property should be returned ASAP There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. Just make sure you do your best to adequately value the things that are missing.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer