I would like to legally change my name. I will have a felony…

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to legally change my name. I will have a felony on my record,but it is "withhold adjudication",so I won't have a conviction.

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?

I was not convicted. It will be a withhold ajudication verdict.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm moving to California in June. Would it be easier to legally change my name there?

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Legal
3/29/2018
Lawyer: Sean K, Lawyer replied 28 days ago
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

There is a fairly straightforward procedure in both California and Florida for changing your name. Both have online resources. Florida's is here and California's is here. The Florida form is very self explanatory, but California has more detail on the process. I would allow about 3 months for either state to complete the process.

As to the criminal charge, you will have to disclose it, but my experience has shown that if there is, as you addressed, no conviction and you disclose it accurately, you likely will be fine. Be aware that as part of the process there will be some background verification and where people run into problems is when they address a background on their application that is different than what their actual background is. Be honest and address any issues and that will put you in the best position.

As to Florida or California, either jurisdiction will result in you having a valid name change.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thx,i have no more questions.

Excellent and 5 star ratings are always appreciated!

Lawyer: Sean K, Lawyer replied 26 days ago

I wanted to reach out and see if there was any additional follow up I could provide. 5 star ratings are always appreciated

Sean K
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer