Renting a room from a friend with a verbal agreement he

Customer Question
passed away now the owner...
Renting a room from a friend with a verbal agreement he passed away now the owner wants me out do they have to evict me legally or do I have to leave right away
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/29/2018
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
My sympathies for the loss of your roommate and friend.
What state is this in regards ***** *****?
California
Thank you. It is required to first provide notice to a tenant and then evict if that person fails to leave and they don't have a lease.
Self help eviction such as changing the locks is illegal.
Normally the owner will serve notice and if the occupant fails to leave then proceed with the eviction action. Many occupants that have no defense will generally vacate before that time because the court can impose attorney fees and costs and an eviction judgment is reported to the credit bureaus as well.

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.