I'm renting a a room from a friend but he passed away in the…

Customer Question
I'm renting a a...

I'm renting a a room from a friend but he passed away in the owner wants me out do they have to evict me legally or do I have to leave

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/29/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 4 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Do you have a lease? If so you are protected under the terms. If not need to get notice. Eviction would take weeks and so you can negotiate an acceptable date.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
No we had a kernel agreement
The owner has to honor the agreement although you may vacate on agreement.
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”