My brother has dementia how can we take legal possesion of…

Customer Question
My brother has dementia...

My brother has dementia how can we take legal possesion of his propertyand get him into assisted living

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I live in British Columbia Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

He has been tested by family doctor and geriatric doctor and had cat-scan

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just that he cannot remember what happened during the last five minutes and the house is falling apart for lack of repair etc.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
3/29/2018
Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 4 months ago
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a few minutes to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 4 months ago

The easiest way to take control of your brother’s property is through an enduring power of attorney and a representation agreement. Representation agreements appoint another person to make decisions about your brother’s health care decisions and other personal, financial matters. You should probably retain a good lawyer for these purposes. Here is a link to the checklist of things you need to do:

http://alzheimer.ca/sites/default/files/files/bc/advocacy-and-education/other-files/2012-12-01%20decision-making%20checklist.pdf

Placing him in an assisted living community will be difficult. In order to live in a seniors’ assisted living residence, a person must be 19 or over and be able to make the range of decisions that allow them to live safely in a supportive, semi-independent environment, while also needing assistance in the form of one or two prescribed services. There are, however, some seniors’ residences that can accommodate adults with disabilities or acquired brain injuries.

See this link for more information: https://www.aplaceformom.com/alzheimers-care/british-columbia

With respect to having your brother involuntarily committed, you will need the advice of two medical doctors. With one doctor’s opinion, the patient can beheld for up to 48 hours for examination and treatment. On receipt of a second medical certificate completed by another physician, the detention and treatment of that patient may be continued beyond that 48‐hour period. See https://www.cpsbc.ca/files/pdf/PSG-Involuntary-Admissions-under-the-Mental-Health-Act.pdf

I hope this helps. Please go ahead and rate me. I get no credit for my work for you until you rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question, I would appreciate it if you ranked my service excellent/5 stars at the top of the page. A BONUS is also appreciated if you think that I have earned one.