Is it illegal for a plaintiff to personally contact a

Customer Question
Is it illegal for...

Is it illegal for a plaintiff to personally contact a defendants witness in a federal court case? (Someone who’s written a sworn affadift for defendant)

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

All of our papers have been filed regarding a TRO, and in those docs were various affidavits. One of our affadavit signers was contacted directly by phone and text and email-

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/29/2018
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

The answer is No, there is no law that prevents a plaintiff from trying to interview a defense witness informally. There are laws against intimidating witnesses but not against trying to interview them.

I hope this information is helpful.