Have someone bashing me on social media saying I am

Customer Question
Have someone bashing me...

Have someone bashing me on social media saying I am transgender and and I've reported it to Facebook and Facebook refuses to remove it so I would like to go after this person and the Facebook

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I've reported to FB and and taking documents to law enforcement

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/29/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good evening, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Thanks for your patience while I typed up my response!

Again, I'm sorry to hear this has been occurring.

Based on the information you shared it appears that you may have grounds for a defamation lawsuit against this individual, and perhaps a negligence lawsuit against Facebook.

To win win a defamation lawsuit, the plaintiff must prove that:

1. the defendant made a false and defamatory statement concerning the plaintiff
  2. the defendant made an unprivileged publication to a third party
  3. the publisher acted at least negligently in publishing the communication
  4. the plaintiff suffered damages

To win a negligence lawsuit, the plaintiff must prove that:

1. the defendant owed a legal duty to the plaintiff under the circumstances
  2. the defendant breached that legal duty by acting or failing to act in a certain way
  3. the defendant's actions (or inaction) caused the plaintiff's injury
  4. the plaintiff was harmed or injured as a result of the defendant's actions

If you would like to pursue the option of a potential lawsuit/ lawsuits then you should meet with a civil lawyer in your area.

You can contact the Oklahoma State Bar for a referral to a civil lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

***-***-****

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!