Is a sibling included in the legal definition of "immediate…

Customer Question
Is a sibling included...

Is a sibling included in the legal definition of "immediate family"?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California but will be traveling to Europe

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

I purchased insurance in case of illness or injury & paid extra to include immediate family (my sister is my traveling companion)

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The company says that only spouse & children constitute Immediate family, but that was not stated in the brochure that caused me to sign up.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/29/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Immediate family is generally defined as the family member that is a spouse and those immediately above and below in the bloodline, meaning children and then parents.

.

So a sibling would not normally be considered "immediate family". If the insurer defines it that way, they wouldn't have to provide any coverage for sister and it would have been up to you in doing your due diligence to make sure that you explained who you wanted covered so the insurer could issue the proper policy.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

Thank you

You are very welcome, even though the news was kind of lousy..

.

.

Have a great evening!