I had a doctor break HiPPA LAW and the privacy officer

Customer Question
I had a doctor...

I had a doctor break HiPPA LAW and the privacy officer "looked into it" since then I got one call from the officer saying the doctor admitted to going into my medical records with another doctor. I hadn't heard from anyone since. So today I called the officer and she said all she could tell me was it's been handled and that she couldn't tell me the end result of what exactly what happened with the doctor. Shouldn't I get documentation on the issue? The doctor has left the office I heard through the grapevine. But is it my right to know how it was handled? Also am I to just go by word of mouth from Privacy officer?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New Mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just to see what the hospital calls a privacy officer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I just would like to speak to someone regarding my rights in this matter

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/28/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

They are not under any obligation to tell you what if anything happened to the doctor as a result of this person going into your medical record. However, if you feel that the matter wasn't adequately addressed you can report the HIPAA violation to the state, and include the information you do have on the matter. At the very least you'd know that there would be the potential for an additional investigation into the matter. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.