I own an LLC that is being sued by an elevator company for…

Customer Question
I own an LLC...

I own an LLC that is being sued by an elevator company for the entire amount of a 5yr service agreement, even though we cancelled 8 months into the contract, based on the company not fufilling timing expectations and charging a rate that was not expected per email communication, and not specified in the agreement. We reached out to the company multiple timea to remedy the incorrect rate and Improve there response time. They did not respond to our requests over several months, so we sent cancellation notice based in a termination clause with a 30 day remedy. They have now filed in civil court for the entire length of the service agreement which still has 4 yrs to go. My question..

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Mi

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

My questions.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

1. Can represent my company without an attorney?

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Legal
3/28/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 24 days ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

I'm not sure if you have more than one question... I do see a number 1 by your question which leads me to believe there might be more than one question so if there's anything else you need answered please let me know. But in response to the question I see, you can certainly represent your company without an attorney. Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Sorry for delay..I was in transit and now have a few minutes to finish up. I did read your answer about personal representation, and I wanted to follow up on that question. I was involved in another case where my company was evicting a tenant in small claims court, and the tenant did not show up with an attorney, and the judge required them to get an attorney. Please confirm that Michigan district courts do not require defendants to have an attorney.
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 23 days ago

Yes, I can confirm. In fact, if you go to the michigan courts website you will clearly see a Pro Se litigants section: http://courts.mi.gov/self-help/pages/default.aspx

Frankly, I'm not aware of any court anywhere in the United States that REQUIRES a party to have an attorney in small claims court.

Does that help clarify things a bit? :)

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney