Can I send a letter to someone else's psyotherapist intended…

Can I send a...

Can I send a letter to someone else's psyotherapist intended for them?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have checked hhs.gov

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Another thought is to release my therapist to call this other person's therapist ahead of time to give them a heads up this letter is coming- understanding the other person's therapist cannot confirm they indeed are treating the patient.

3/28/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

You can write a letter to whomever you want, assuming you are not under a court order prohibiting contact with the person to whom you are writing.

Just realize, you can not make defamatory statements and the other person's therapist has no legal obligation to respond to you.

Additionally, if the letter contains any threats of bodily harm, they are legally obligated to notify the authorities.

Other than that, there is no legal prohibition against writing a letter to anyone.

I am happy to continue if you have further questions.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney
Phone call session started
Thanks for chatting over the phone. Very helpful.