I was rear ended on the freeway and pushed into another car.

Customer Question
I was rear ended...

I was rear ended on the freeway and pushed into another car. I had come to a stop due to the traffic at the time. I successfully settled my case with the driver that hit me, which started the accident. I just received a law suit summons today. Am I responsible for the car in front of me, if I was already stopped before I was hit?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have called the attorney who represented me for my PI case and sent the documents to my insurance company.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
3/29/2018
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer

Thank you for your question. The answer is No, you are not liable for the damage to the car in front of you.

You did the right thing by notifying your insurer. The insurer should provide you with a defense attorney, who will probably file a complaint for indemnity against the driver who rear ended you. You were not negligent and should not be held liable in this situation, but the driver who hit your vehicle and pushed it into the vehicle in front of you is liable.

If there was damage of over $1,000 or any personal injury, you are supposed to file an SR1 even if there was a police report. The attorney who handled your pi case should have already done that.

I hope this information is helpful.