I live in Stillwater at a group home. My roommate has had…

Customer Question
I live in Stillwater...

I live in Stillwater at a group home. My roommate has had numerous interactions with the law. No one wants or "can" get rid of him. I've tried numerous avenues

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Minnesota

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Contact my case worker staff supervisors here

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Cops therapists

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/28/2018
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

This appears to be a violation of the implied covenant (promise) of quiet enjoyment. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied covenant of quiet enjoyment if this person is causing a disruption of your quiet enjoyment at the group home.

Under the implied covenant of quiet enjoyment, it states that the landlord will not take any action or make any omission which disturbs a tenant’s right to possession and quiet enjoyment of the premises. The warranty does not protect the tenant from the acts of third parties over whom the landlord has no control. However, if the landlord does have control over the situation, but chooses to do nothing, then it is a violation. To help facilitate the situation, you may want to consider just writing a letter detailing the problems and demand that they rectify this situation or you will move off the property and not pay any rent thereafter as allowed by law. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?