Can I be forced to testify against my husband in a domestic…

Customer Question
Can I be forced...

Can I be forced to testify against my husband in a domestic violence case

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Or can I claim spousal privledge I am in Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Prelim exam is the last thing

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They also added a charge saying he tells me what to say, can I claim spousal privledge for that? thats it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/28/2018
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 3 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

Sorry, but yes. In cases of accusations of domestic violence, spousal privilege is voided. Meaning, you can be subpoenaed to testify and must comply. What you choose to say on the stand is up to you, of course.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.