I've been to Mexico (Cancun & Playa Del Carmen) once before…

I've been to Mexico...

I've been to Mexico (Cancun & Playa Del Carmen) once before and when I walked into a couple different pharmacies, I was offered OxyContin, Vicodin, Norco, Tramadol, Valium, Ativan, and Xanax. I declined their offer, as I was just looking for an anti-nausea medication. I'm actually going back to Mexico (Cancun & Playa Del Carmen) next week for another vacation. I am prescribed Valium and Xanax by my psychiatrist here in the U.S. I've developed a good, working relationship with my psychiatrist, but I will be having to move soon and will have to switch psychiatrists. I know I can have the psychiatrist's notes forwarded to my new psychiatrist and what not, but I'm afraid the new psychiatrist won't prescribe the Valium and Xanax, and I would feel more at ease knowing I have some backup on hand. I would only bring 1 container/bottle of each because it's just for me and only me and I would be sure it's less than 50 doses. I've done some research and allegedly 50 doses or less is acceptable by Customs, but I just wanted to verify that. How should I go about this to avoid any legal ramifications with Customs? Again, I just want to reiterate, I'm not planning on bringing back bottles upon bottles, just one of each for me and me alone, a backup supply.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Illinois I would be flying out and into MDW.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Uhhh, well I've done some research, but I thought it would be best to get advice from a lawyer directly!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, not really.

3/28/2018
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you. In order to transport drugs that are controlled in the United States they need to have been prescribed by a licensed doctor. So when you are asking about customs are asking about leaving or entering the US?

Excellent question, so it would be entering the U.S. at MDW from a nonstop flight from Cancun.

You would need to be able to show the controlled substances were prescribed by a licensed medical doctor.

"Purchasing Pharmaceuticals in Mexico

People traveling across the Mexican border from California, Texas and other bordering states to purchase cheaper pharmaceuticals is not uncommon. In addition to being less expensive, many drugs that require a prescription in the United States are sold over the counter in Mexico.

But it should first be noted that federal law prohibits the importation of any drugs that have not been FDA approved, and this includes foreign-made versions of popular U.S. pharmaceuticals. Additionally, some drugs that are considered controlled substances by the DEA cannot be purchased in Mexico without a prescription from a Mexican doctor. Examples of some of the controlled substances that are illegal to bring back over the border from Mexico include:

• Xanax
  • Ambien
  • Tylenol containing Codeine
  • Cipro
  • Oxycontin
  • Percocet
  • Vicodin
  • Lunesta
  • Phenobarbital
  • Various antidepressants

It is a good idea to check the complete list of controlled substances to see if the drug you wish to purchase is on it before making the trip to Mexico and attempting to bring the drug back over the border.

Popular Drugs That Can Be Purchased in Mexico and Brought Back to the United States

Some of the more common prescription drugs that you can buy without worrying about breaking U.S. Federal law include:

• Prilosec
  • Viagra
  • Levitra
  • Lorazepam
  • Valium
  • Various antibiotics
  • Birth control

There are obviously a wide range of medicines that can be purchased in Mexico without problems; checking online pharmacies can give you more of an idea of the extensive list of drugs for sale.

Things to Watch Out for When Purchasing Prescription Drugs in Mexico

Counterfeit drugs may be masquerading as popular brands. Check packaging very carefully.

While you can get a prescription for medication from a Mexican doctor, the pharmacists at Mexican pharmacies may not have as much medical training as U.S. pharmacists. Additionally, if you have side effects or a bad reaction to any drugs purchased in Mexico, you may not have any legal recourse.

Drugs that appear familiar may actually have different active ingredients, so it is important to read the ingredients, dosage instructions and other pertinent information carefully. It can be helpful to bring a photo of the U.S. packaging and information with you so you can compare." https://www.mexpro.com/blog/popular-rx-drugs-purchased-mexico

Got'cha! So I would need it to look like a regular prescription, like what one would get in the U.S., with your name on it, the pharmacy, who prescribed it, etc.? It couldn't be just the box it came in from the pharmacy?
Okay, so I could bring back Valium and Lorazepam without any issues? Valium and Lorazepam (brand name Ativan) are both Schedule IV drugs. Xanax is also a Schedule IV drug, but it's more of a "street" drug in comparison to Valium or Ativan, so maybe that's why it wouldn't be an issue bringing back Valium and Ativan?

You can only bring a controlled substance into and out of the US that has been prescribed by a licensed doctor. The best case is for the drug to be in its proper packaging.

Got'cha, so proper packaging meaning a pharmacy label with my name, the pharmacy, who prescribed it, etc. and not just the box from the pharmacy? What I was offered last time was just the box from the pharmacy. I walked in and just asked for anti-nausea mediation and was offered all these narcotics and benzodiazepines in the same boxes the pharmacy got from the manufacturer. No doctor was present, he was just going to sell it to me. It didn't seem sketchy to me, but maybe I was being naive.

You need to be very careful when bringing medication into the US. You need prescription as well as the proper proper packaging for any controlled substances. Mexico sells many medications that do not contain the active ingredients that you may believe you are purchasing. I would purchase nothing without a prescription to be safe.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.

Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Thank you.