My mother does not live in the main house where my brother…

Customer Question
Hello. My mother...

Hello. My mother does not live in the main house where my brother and I currently live. Back in 2014 she named myself and my brother as remainderman on the property. She stated that she just signed a deed giving my brother the property and leaving me out. Very upsetting as I have lived here my entire life mostly. Don't I have any rights as I was not asked to sign the deed? Thank you..

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No it just happened

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the house located?

It is a separate dwelling in Havre de Grace Maryland sitting on 2 acres

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/28/2018
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 3 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation. (You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.)

Unless the life estate deed (which also made you the remainderman) specifically states that she can reverse the deed without your agreement (which I doubt), she cannot do this.

Without that specific reversal verbiage in place, she cannot deed the whole title away without you signing off on it. Meaning, her latest action is (arguably) void. To confirm this, you may wish to file a QUIET TITLE asking the Court to confirm this, and void her latest action.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.