I am currently disputing a bill with Con edison and need…

Customer Question
I am currently disputing...

I am currently disputing a bill with Con edison and need advice

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New York NYC

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I just got off the phone with them and requested they send me a comprehensive break down of charges through email

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I am aware of

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/28/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.
What can I answer for you? I've read what you wrote but I don't see a question listed.

I moved into an appartment in NYC 08/20/2016 under a year lease in which I was not notified responsibility for energy costs. When I renewed my lease in 08/2017 the building was under new management and they stated it was now my responsibility but I still had power and Con edison was still reading meters and never notified me of a transition. I received postcard last week from ConEd saying I needed to register for service. I registered the next day saying that I had been living there since 2016 they asked no other questions and sent me a bill for 5,233 dollars to be payed in two weeks. I've been on the phone with them today in which they said this is a management issue and that I still owe them for the services rendered. The online billing statement has nothing other than an estimated usage of the amount listed for the month of march 2018

Over what period of time is this $5233 bill for?

They're charging that amount from 08/2016 till now

That would be insanity and given that it's not an amount you agreed to pay, it's exceptionally problematic. But I want to be realistic - since you're dealing with a giant corporation you may end up fighting and fighting. And fighting. With no result... hopefully that is not the outcome for you - but you should at least be prepared that if you decide to pay that bill you can subsequently sue your building - both prior and current owners for it. I know it's not an easy or quick sort of result but it is an option if you don't fare well with ConEd. Please let me know if that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, if you wouldn't mind could you please take a moment to submit a rating. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively. 5 STARS is always appreciated! You can still ask follow up questions after rating - and of course please ask if you need clarification to anything I've written. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.