In Colorado, is there a way we can stay 1 more month past…

Customer Question
Hello, In Colorado, is...

Hello, In Colorado, is there a way we can stay 1 more month past our lease? Some information: we had a 1 year lease, we have rented one month past the lease and we would like to stay until the end of April, we notified our management team prior to the 30 days required by text that we Would renew our lease 1 more year. (Property/ real estate agent notified us via text), one week later she emailed us w 30 days notice to vacate( owners wanted to sell property), almost a week later emailed again with another option- to resign at a higher amount, we had our real estate agent call to inquire about purchasing the house or rent to own, we notified by the date requested that we would not renew the lease at the increase amount but would rent through the end of April, the management agent email no problem it sounded reasonable, then emailed back several days later the owners said no.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a CO lawyer about this?

We are closing on our house April 16 and have nowhere to go. We have 2 dead children one is autistic as well. Our other daughter has been in the hospital and just was discharged yesterday (psychiatric hold). With those factors is there any way to push to stay at least through the 17th of April? Thanks you, susan

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We contacted the housing authority, initially told the needed to notify us 91 days prior to not renewing. This was wrong information. And the fair housing; they handle it only if it is a discrimination case. It could be because they agent listed the house for rent on Zillow at $2850.00. It was still on there yesterday and for the last 10 days.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Other then that just talking with the agent. The owners are a couple from out of state under a llc. We did offer to pay the owners change of flight fee. The management agent insists now they are comping our to clean out the house and list it.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/28/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 3 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Once lease ends, it becomes a month to month tenancy. Either side can end on 30 day notice. In any event, eviction takes weeks, so your proposed plan is more than reasonable.

What is my proposed plan? I would rather not have them evicte us. That was not my plan. I just want to pay rent for one more month.

Tell them you plan to leave by date certain and pay rent, any they cannot get you out any faster so they should agree and not waste time on lawyers.