My grandmother owned a home with her partner before he died.

My grandmother owned a...

My grandmother owned a home with her partner before he died. The child they share is trying to lay claim to the home now. My grandmother has maintained the home for the five to six years since his death paid all the property taxes etc. what are my grandmother's options? this house is in PA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has your grandmother talked to a PA lawyer about this?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your grandmother taken so far?

She was just served papers regarding the demand to be bought out this week.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's everything

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Hello I am an attorney here to help. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, did the party that passed have a will?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
They also do not have survivor ship riders as they were not married
I see. So the downside is that when someone who is not married but has children dies, their assets to their children. Anyone living on their land becomes a tenant, even if they are paying for upkeep of the property. In your case, your grandmother doesn't have any right to the labd and is a tenant. If she is asked to be removed, she has to be given at least thirty days notice in writing before that can occur. Do you know if she has alternative accommodations set up?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
They were both on the deed and my grandmother has been paying the property taxes for the past five years.
Ok so if they were both on the deed then she is part owner. If the deed had a right of survivorship, then she would he the sole owner. If not, then she is co-owner with the children of her partner. Her deed will say for sure but if that is the case she doesn't have to move. What other questions did you have for me today about this?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
In PA does paying property taxes give you the full right to the property? Does she have to sell the house to pay off the child? If she paid the child off does that then mean his grandchildren could make claims to the property if she decided to stay in the house after paying off the child?
No, paying the taxes doesn't give you full right. She doesn't have to do anything she doesn't want to doing she is part owner but she can choose to pay off the child to get her share of the property. If she paid off the child and the deed was transferred into her name alone, then the child won't have any other claims.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you.
You bet. Would you mind providing me with a five star rating today? I would sincerely ***** *****
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Sorry, since the heirs are part owners of the house can my grandmother take them to court and require they pay a portion of the property taxes?
Sadly, no. The law requires co-owners to figure out amongst themselves how the property taxes are going to be paid. The law that requires that the property taxes are paid no matter who does it. It's going to be critical that she work out a way to split the cost of the taxes if she is concerned about that because a court cannot make the other party pay.
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer