I own a house in OrangE City Florida. My daughter is renting…

Customer Question
I own a house...

I own a house in OrangE City Florida. My daughter is renting the house from me. Her boyfriend was living with her but did not sign the lease. It does say in the body of the lease that he could stay there. She is trying to get him to leave. He is not staying at the house, but still leaves his belongings and mail, so he can keep coming back. He has not paid any rent since he moved in even though he was the only one working for a while. He also has admitted to using cocaine during this time. The lease is not up until August. How do we get him out?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Since he did live at the house for longer than a few weeks, you will need to obtain an eviction order to have him removed from the home, if we won't leave voluntarily.

In order to obtain the eviction order, you'll need to go into the Clerk's Office at the local county courthouse where the house is located, and file a request for an eviction order.

The clerks should be able to help you with making sure your forms are properly filled out and can help you get them filed.

You will then receive an eviction hearing date, as will your daughter's boyfriend.

At the hearing, the judge should issue the eviction order, which is legally enforceable by the sheriff's office.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Thanks. Do you know how long it typically tAkes to get a hearing?
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Since he didn't sign off on the lease and is therefore not an official party to the lease, but just a listed occupant, you should receive a court date within 7 days of the date you file your request.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!