My son has gotten a under age drinking ticket in portage…

Customer Question
My son has gotten...

My son has gotten a under age drinking ticket in portage county ohio what is his best thing to do when goes in front of the judge april 10. He is joining the marines and leaves july 23 so we don't want this to mess that up

Lawyer's Assistant: Has your son talked to an Ohio lawyer about this?

No we talked to the clerk of courts but they are not giving us the best coarse of action

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your son taken so far?

So far nothing he's out of the state right now and we have talked to our neighbor who a cop. He told us to have him plea not guilty and it will be sent to the prosecutor and hopefully it will be reduced to a lesser charge

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have be told theres a diversion program he might be able to take but we are not sure if he will be offered this or not. i guess that will depend on the judge.

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Legal
3/28/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 29 days ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
ok
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
no im good with the email for now
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 29 days ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 29 days ago

The phone call request is actually auto generated by the site, so please feel free to disregard it if it's not something you're interested in right now.

I'm typing up your answer now, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 29 days ago

You/ your son should consider hiring a criminal defense attorney to represent him in this process.

You can contact the Ohio State Bar for a referral to a criminal defense lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

(614)(###) ###-####/strong>

Depending on the specific facts of his case, the arrest, and criminal procedure that was followed, there may be some grounds by which a defense attorney could get this case dismissed.

With regards ***** ***** diversion program, yes there is a diversion program reserved for first time offenders only, so your son would qualify for the program.

The way the program works is that there are rehabilitative/ educational classes, community service, probation, and/or a fine. Then upon successful completion of the program, the charges against your son are dismissed.

It does require approval from the prosecutor to be enrolled in the diversion program, but this should not be difficult to obtain.

Also, if your son cannot afford to retain a private attorney currently, then a public defender should be appointed to him at his first court date.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
ok thanks
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 29 days ago

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones