I was recently terminated from my job as a nurse. I was

I was recently terminated...

I was recently terminated from my job as a nurse. I was accused of stealing and had a false positive drug test.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

HR and manager told me not to retake the test because i would be terminated regardless. Initially they said they wouldn't report to te board of nursing, last friday. Monday they called and said they would have to report me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No\

3/28/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I was accused of diverting narcotics as a nurse in an assisted living facility. I documented the drug given correctly. They suspected i stole because the resident did not remember taking it the next day. I was asked to do a urine test and was reluctant because i might have ingested a prescription from my significant other. The screen showed positive for drugs I have never taken and was terminated on those grounds. I was initially told I could retake the test three days after the initial test and would be ok if that one cleared. I was not able to retake the test and told later that retaking was incorrect. I asked to retest the false positive and was told I would be fired regardless but would not be reported to the board of nursing. Three days later I was called and told I would be reported. I don't know what my rights are and how to prove I never took was showed on the drug test.

Great, thank you! The system may automatically ask you for a phone call; however, it’s not required that you take it. Bear with me a moment while I review…

I'm sorry to hear about that. Do you know whether your employment agreement stipulates that the employer is required to provide you that additional test to determine whether it was a false positive?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No idea

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. So, basically if it says in the contract you have the right to another test, then if they did not give it to you, then it is a breach of contract.

Even if there is nothing, the fact that you were made a promise to have another test may be your best bet as you may have some recourse under the legal theory of promissory estoppel. What this means is that if someone made a promise upon which another person detrimentally relied, then the aggrieved party may be entitled to damages. Promissory estoppel usually requires five (5) things:

1. The defendant made a promise that was clear and unambiguous in its terms

2. The promisee relied on the promise.

3. The reliance on the new promise was reasonable and foreseeable.

4. You were injured by the reliance.

5. Injustice can be avoided only by enforcement of the promise.

Accordingly, you may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter that they either honor their promise or they pay you the reasonable damages that you incurred as a result. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to go to court to have a judge enforce the law. How else can I help today?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
How would I find out if my contract or would not provide that right?

You could ask any friends that you had in the place to send you the employee handbook or you could request it from human resources directly. Usually, they'll just give it to you. You could explain what happened and what promises you were made and that can help you get to the bottom of this for sure. My recommendation is to just have people who are there help you. It's not illegal for them to send you that documentation generally so long as patient information isn't attached. I'm very sorry about this.

Did you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Does contacting a local lawyer seem reasonable?

Yes.

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most in advertising can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. You'll want to look for a labor and employment attorney to assist you.

How else can I help you today?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
thank you

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Legal Eagle, Lawyer