Can an immigrant on tourist visa get married to a US citizen…

can an immigrant on tourist...
can an immigrant on tourist visa get married to a US citizen within 2days of admittance to the United States? If yes, what is the implication of getting immigration benefit such as the green card
3/28/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Yes, an immigrant can get married while on a tourist visa. Marriage laws are created and enforced by the state, whereas immigration is under federal jurisdiction. But even aside from that, anyone who wants to pay the fees of getting married in a state is welcome to do so. There's no laws about immigration status before getting married - just like an American citizen can get married in a foreign country if they'd like.

Both spouses need to appear together to request the marriage license and present proper ID. That's going to be a U.S. driver's license, state issued ID, birth certificate, or passport. If either of you have been married before, you'll also need to present a divorce decree. Divorce decrees issued by a non-English speaking country would need to be accompanied by an official translation. You may want to check with the consulate for the home country to see if they provide that service (there will be a fee).

As far as immigration benefits go, US CIS may view a relationship more suspiciously when two people get married so soon after one of them arrives in the United States. But they'll look at the entire relationship to determine whether it's a legitimate marriage. If they find that it is, they will usually issue a conditional green card, meaning that the couple must apply again in two years to establish that they're still married. A second investigation will be done at that time.

The other implication is that the U.S. citizen must sign a form agreeing to support the immigrant in the event that the marriage does not work out. That's true even if there is a prenuptial agreement, or even if the person otherwise would not be entitled to alimony. The immigration form controls. So it's important to be aware of that.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thanks. I rated you 5 Stars

You're welcome. And congratulations!

Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Lucy, Esq., Attorney