A Mechanics lien was filed against my home on March 6, 2018,

Customer Question
Hello a Mechanics lien...

Hello a Mechanics lien was filed against my home on March 6, 2018, the contractors where terminated because of lack of work on December 4 2017, most of money they want has been paid already. What is my legal action?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I just found out through email one week ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The contractors where paid $10,000 for demolition and $8200 for engineering . Contract was signed in April no repairs where done, I waited till September to look for another contractor, terminated the old contractors December 4, now they want money for services already paid

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/28/2018
Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your civil law question today. I'm attorney Bill offering information on the removal of a mechanic's lien from your title record.

Your two options are to either pay the disputed amount in the lien requiring the contractor to file a satisifcation of lien with the recorder's office or to file a suit in the Superior Ct for removal of the lien if the amount stated is incorrect and fraudulent.

You could also seek punitive damaged where the the lien was placed knowingly without cause and fraudulently on your property.

If the contractor fails to appear or to successfully dispute your civil challenge the lien must be removed in law.

The California code section 8480-8490 allow a hearing to be held on its removal no later than 30 days after your petition.

We are here to helps o please follow up with me as required.

I'm an independent legal expert and get a credit when you rate positively.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated in this regard.

Best

Attorney Bill

Ok how do I file a suit? What type of lawyer do I need Real Estate?

You can hire a general civil litigation attorney in the county/city where the property is located.

If you aren't working with an attorney the State bar offers a referral service.

https://www.indybar.org/index.cfm?pg=LawyerReferralService

Best

Attorney Bill

Thank you

Your welcome, just a reminder I see you have yet to leave a positive rating.

Thanks

Attorney Bill