Can a creditor run my credit if I am offering them a

Customer Question
Can a creditor run...

Can a creditor run my credit if I am offering them a settlement through a credit counseling agency

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Hired a credit counseling firm to help me settle my credit debt.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If my ex-husband was a cosigner but he is not part of this settlement offer can they go after him for the remaining balance?

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Legal
3/28/2018
Lawyer: Thelawman2, Attorney replied 25 days ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

A creditor is only going to be able to run your credit if you authorize them to do so; however, for the credit car company to settle, you might have to agree to them authorizing running your credit.

As for your ex-husband being a co-signor, yes, if he has not part of this settlement offer then they can go after him for the remaining balance.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
i was told once i settle i would receive a 1099, what recourse would my ex husband have if he did not want to settle.

You will receive a 1099 because the forgiveness of debt is treated as income. As for what recourse your ex husband would have, what do you mean? If he wants to avoid getting sought for the remaining balance, he should also settle with the credit card company at the same time.

I hope this has been helpful. Let me know if you have any questions and don't forget to provide a positive rating at the top of your screen. 5 stars would be greatly appreciated!

Thelawman2
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney