My neighbor withdrew money from my account without my

Customer Question
My neighbor withdrew money...

My neighbor withdrew money from my account without my permission, has admitted the theft and promised to repay me. Has paid good portion back however still owes $350, which she now says she wants my bank statements to prove she withdrew the money. She even went to the bank, at the time if being discovered of the theft, and admitted to the bank clerk that she had stolen this money. Now she is refusing to pay the balance unless I give her my bank statement. I have her text messages promising to pay this, but now declining to, can I get this back from her?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

South Australia

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

When she was found out, she told her mother who advised her to tell me, which she did. She promised to pay this money back, of which I have all her text messages to that effect. Her mother paid me $500, the girl has paid $50, with promises to pay $100 every fortnight till the $350 is paid. I asked the police if I could lay a charge of theft against her, but they said that because we had already begun the payments, it was now a civil matter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I did not lay charges against her at the off set as her mother also reassured me that the girl would pay back what was owing. I want this person to know that she cannot use people like this and get away with it.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Legal
3/27/2018
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 26 days ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
I can suggest some options. would you like that information? please let me know and i will put it together and respond shortly. You can wait or come back later when we email you that a reply is ready. Thanks for your patience. This is not the answer. just an opening question so I can better focus the answer and make it more helpful.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
please, I want this matter over with so I don’t have to have anything to do with this person again.
You can consider small claims court. Police report is a secondary option.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Sorry I cannot afford the extra charges
if you get an automatic phone call request, you can accept it and a phone based law expert will handle. if you prefer to proceed by chat with me, just reply to the chat. some customers choose both, but the choice is yours! ThanksPlease let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Tina, Lawyer