Early this get we bought a cheap car and got it insured. A…

Customer Question
Early this get we...

Early this get we bought a cheap car and got it insured. A couple days later my husband got pulled over for a broken tail light. When they went to run it for insurance nothing came up. Turns out the lady gave us the wrong title so we insured the wrong vehicle (I know our fault for not varifing). We got it all fixed and got a letter from our insurance stating that there was mixup but they were able to back date the correct vin and car, and that it was insured. Fast disease to our court date where we tried to explain this to the judge and defend our case, but he just dismissed us and said we either pay the fine (which having a ticket for no insurance will effect our insurance premiums now) or he would loose his licence. How is that ok? And do we have any grounds to retry or even sue?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None yet. We got the insurance taken care of( correct vin and correct date of initial insurance on the car) and he just got out of court where he tried to fight the ticket, but the judge wouldn't listen to him. Even though he dismissed every other case he had

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If it makes any difference my husband is a latino ( well spoken english) and as I said the judge dismissed every other case before his, but wouldn't even give him the time of day to defend himself. And they didn't even have his name on the docket, even though his ticket said to be there at that time and date

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/27/2018
Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Michael Bradley

when was the court date?

Today at 5pm cst

I am very surprised by the outcome

these type of cases are normally dismissed when you show a current insurance policy

were you given any information on taking an appeal?

No, the judge told him if he didn't pay the $170 fine plus a $50 class(I don't remember what kind of class) then they would revoke his license.

did you have a pretrial conference?

No. No pretrial anything. When he got there they didn't even have him on the ticket. He showed him where it said to be there on the ticket, and they saw him last.

were you given a chance to tell your side of the story and present evidence?

No. The judge wouldn't hear it. He said you either pay the fine and take the class or loose you license.

what county

what judge were you before

Garfield County. North Enid, Oklahoma. I can't remember the judges name

were you in the city courthouse or county courthouse?

City courthouse

it appears that you can appeal the city court house matter to the county courthouse which would be de novo or a new matter

I would suggest contacting an attorney who can help you with this process

I can send you a list of highly rated attorneys who may be able to help, if you wish

you can take the class to reduce the points but it would be a good idea to talk to an attorney locally, especially since it happened today

please. I would appreciate it.

Below please find a list of highly rated attorneys who practice traffic law. I would suggest looking at some of their profiles and making calls to see if you can get a consultation. There are some attorneys in Oklahoma that do traffic ticket law. Based on my research in trying to help you I am not getting 100% clear-cut answers so therefore I suggest that you contact a local attorney. From what I have seen it appears that you may be able to appeal this to a higher court and start the process over

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/traffic-violations/garfield-county/oklahoma

https://www.justia.com/lawyers/traffictickets/oklahoma

Good luck to you! You can come back here free of charge after I'm rated for a follow-up question.

Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with. That includes looking for lawyers. I’m happy to do so! I’m here most of the time (usually at night!) so you can always come back and talk to me (no extra charge) after I’m rated. If I’m not here, I will get an email if you leave me a question.

Please accept my answer, and please rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars (5, 4 or 3 stars, 5 stars would be much appreciated as I ALWAYS strive to give you 5 star service!). This can be found AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information such as where to find lawyers. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. I have given you the benefit of my legal knowledge and 25 years of experience as well as my time. My statistics show that almost 100% of my customers here have been extremely satisfied with my answers as I am always truthful and thorough. The majority of my ratings, by far, have been 5s, which is extremely important to me.

Feel free to come back here for a follow-up question based on this one.
You're welcome to ask follow-up questions at any time, any day after I'm rated, free of charge.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you! I'd rather be given the chance to add more information than be rated negatively, so I thank you for that.

If you want to ask for me specifically another time -- for a new question -- ask for "Michael Bradley ONLY" and I will get the question. Otherwise you can come right back into this room for follow-ups, free of charge.

Best of luck to you and thank you for letting me help you today! Thanks in advance for rating me!

I strive for 5 star service every time, so if there's anything else I can do to earn that, I'm happy to do so.