Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

Need Advice for a vehicle that has been taken. Colorado. I

Need Advice for a vehicle that has been taken.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Colorado
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have asked for its return and tried civil assist but the other party is claiming that they are buying it and the police backed off
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes there is no contract and no proof of any kind of payment for the vehicle and the vehicle is completely in my name

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.

Okay, I suspect there is more information in the details (because if it's in your name you can simply go to the car and get in and drive away, assuming you know where the car is) so if you'd like to provide additional details I'll be able to give you a comprehensive answer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok details are, I had a friend that started working with me and their personal car died, so I said that they could borrow my work truck for work. they came to my house two days ago and dropped off a money order for 100.00 dollars and said they are buying it and used that to tell the police that they are buying it. I do know where they live and know where the truck is so can I go just take my truck?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Oh and I did not except that money order I ripped it up and took a picture.

Y​our work truck... meaning a truck owned by your employer - or a truck you use for work?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is owned by me completely and it was a truck that i used in my business but it is registered and titled under my name

I​'ll give your friend credit... they either have giant rhymes with 'talls' or they are a complete a** or they have not the slightest clue of what the law says. Maybe your friend wants to walk into a Porsche dealership and tell them they're buying a Porsche for $100. But seriously, if it's your car, you literally CAN go up to the car, take out your keys, unlock the car and get in and drive away. Your friend does not own the car by any law on any planet that I'm familiar with. Frankly, I can't imagine how they got away with that load of .... with a police officer but not only can you report your friend for committing an actual crime - theft - but you can, because you own the car, just take it.

Please let me know if I've answered your question. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

-----------
Reminder: This site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.

Thanks so much for your rating! And, just for future reference if you need anything in the future and you want to reach me directly you can do so by going to: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-droliviak-jd-md/?rpt=3800 or by putting "This Question Is For Olivia" before you start typing your question in a new question thread.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you Very much Olivia!! I was starting to lose hope in the entire system because the police said that i could not even touch the truck even though I showed them the title and registration for the vehicle all in my name. Thanks again :)

I ​literally cannot fathom how anyone could have told you that you can't touch a vehicle that you have the title and registration to on the basis of some lunatic's word that he bought it - with NO documentation to that effect. That's why the law requires evidence...

And according to the law if it's YOUR car you don't need anyone's permission to get into it. If the police showed up at your door you would need to explain to them that he is SCAMMING YOU and show them all your proof.

The DMV would laugh him out the door if he claimed he owned the car and everything was in your name.

-----------
Reminder: This site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal or medical advice.