Can you tell me if I am entitled to my husbands SS benefits.

Customer Question
Can you tell me...

Can you tell me if I am entitled to my husbands SS benefits. We have been married for 27 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We have amicably divided our assets so far. it's the ss and some insurances that are not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Am i connected?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
3/27/2018
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Social security is not an assets but payable to the person.That said you can draw off of his social security as a divorced spouse here and he may owe you alimony if there is a big discrepancy in income.

So while its not an asset certainly you may draw off of his and receive alimony if he makes substantially more than you.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Prayers to you with the divorce.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.