I was wondering, what type of form or legal document do I…

Customer Question
Hello I was wondering...

Hello I was wondering, what type of form or legal document do I need for the following situation: my son and his girlfriend are taking over payments for my dying cousin's trailer. The have been added as users to his finance company's account. The finance company manager said that once it's paid off, the title be changed to their names. But we need a document so that my dying cousin can sign.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

My son and his girlfr

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Have been added to the mortgage account as users

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
3/28/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

If your cousin is dying and wants to leave the trailer to your son and his girlfriend, being added as users to the account is simply not enough. That just means they'll pay a bunch of money and may get nothing for it. The finance company manager is just plain wrong... paying off someone's asset does not make that asset yours. The only way to make the asset yours is to have the person that owns it transfer ownership to the property now, at any point before their death, or in a will. But paying for an asset now without any assurances that you will own it... well... you're definitely taking a risk. Please let me know if that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, if you wouldn't mind could you please take a moment to submit a rating. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively. 5 STARS is always appreciated! You can still ask follow up questions after rating - and of course please ask if you need clarification to anything I've written. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.