Need knowledgeable person- my vehicle has aco- signer on my…

Customer Question
Need knowledgeable person- my...

Need knowledgeable person- my vehicle has aco- signer on my title. He is (was a friend)helping me to get the loan. We are no longer friends, I moved from Minnesota to Kentucky. I can’t get Kentucky plates, he won’t cooperate! I have a lien on my car. I’ve made all my payments (me only)on time every month What can be done to get a Kentucky plate,I live in Kentucky?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a MN lawyer about this?

How would Minnesota lawyer help,and where or who?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

The co signer doesn’t want to help. Also I had a restraining order against him, which is lifted now. The DMV in Kentucky said no plate will be issued with a co signer on my title

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If you can’t help who knows what to do?Thank you.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

T​he issue with having someone else on the title is that they owe the car to the same extent that you do. You could potentially sue them to ask a court to remove their name from the title under some equitable principle (since legally they do own the car) after showing that you've paid all the bills, etc. It is a VERY long shot, I'm not going to lie. Or you can continue to try to reason with your friend and/or offer to "buy out" your friend. Please let me know if I've answered your question. I understand that this is not good news and I apologize for that. I hope you don't take it out on me or my rating... I have an ethical responsibility to tell you what the law actually is - and even if I didn't have that obligation I'd still want you to avoid a legal headache if I possibly can help you avoid that! So I just need you to know what you're up against. If I have answered your question, if you wouldn't mind, could you please take a moment to submit a rating so that I receive credit for working with you. If you have any follow up questions I would be *happy* to answer them. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! It DOES NOT cost you anything at all to submit a rating; it just allows me to get credit for helping you - otherwise I get no credit at all. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

You said that I could possibly buy out the co signer? Not sure what you mean, If I could pay off the lien to the company,I surely would, but even when pai off - how do I get him to sign off of the title?

W​hat I meant by "buy out" the co-signer was offering them money to transfer title to you alone.

This co signer is keeping me from getting a license plate for the(my) vehicle

R​ight, I understand. That's why I was saying if you offered to pay him maybe he would release his ownership on the car. The alternative is to try to sue him and ask a court to order that - but that's not very likely. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I DO want you to know your options realistically.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney