Some one recently used my name and facebook picture in a…

Customer Question
Some one recently used...

Some one recently used my name and facebook picture in a post and falsely attributed a quote to my name. With an intent to damage my reputation and character. In a local community FB group reaching 5,000 people in our community. I have asked him to remove it.. he refuses.. i am pursuing recourse with FB but want to know my legal options

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

CT

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have asked the person to remove the picture both in the post and in a private message. He not only refused to do so but said he plans to do many more using my name and picture. I told him that i would take legal action. He said he has "artistic license" to use my name and likenes in this manner.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can send the actual picture over?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
3/27/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Do you want to see the picture?
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

It's not necessary for my response, but you can send it across to me if you like.

did you get picture
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Yes, I did.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Thanks for your patience while I finish typing up some information for you, it'll just be one more minute, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Based on the information you've shared, it appears that you may have grounds to file a lawsuit against this individual for defamation.

These are the factors that must be established in a defamation lawsuit:

• the defendant made a false and defamatory statement concerning the plaintiff
  • the defendant made an unprivileged publication to a third party
  • the publisher (can be this individual themselves through FB) acted at least negligently in publishing the communication
  • you suffered damages.

You should consider hiring a civil lawyer in your area to represent you in this matter and file suit on your behalf.

You can contact the Connecticut State Bar for a referral to a civil lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

(***) ***-****

Most civil attorneys work on a contingency fee basis which means it would not cost you anything out of pocket to begin this lawsuit.

Of course reporting the account to FB as you've done would also be a productive step in removing this information. Just be sure to store screen shots of what was published.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 3 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!