Just recd. text from Vantari Genetics saying I owe them

Just recd. text from...

Just recd. text from Vantari Genetics saying I owe them 204.34 do not know who these people are or why I would owe them any money

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just called and left a message with their billing dept

3/27/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok

I'm sorry to hear that you called these folks back. This is a way scammers phish for your personal information. You wouldn't get a text message at random from a company you never heard of indicating that you owe money.

In tough economic times, unscrupulous people buy up old consumer lists and old debts and then reach out to people and try to intimidate them into paying monies they don't really even owe. If you have never heard of this company and know you've never dealt with them and cannot owe them money, you're almost certainly right.

Since you've given them a message telling them to reach you, don't let them wheedle you out of your social security number or other sensitive information. You have the right to ask them to send you written validation of any debt, because you are allowed this under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, a Federal act designed to protect consumers from predatory collection tactics. Once they send you written validation, you can formally dispute the debt, which you should do in writing, by sending the collection agency a cease and desist letter, letting them know that they are in violation of both state law and the Federal government's Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Tell them in your letter to immediately refrain from contacting you again or anyone else such as your family or employer or that you will report them on the state level to your state Attorney General and on the Federal level to the Federal Trade Commission. Remind them that from here, every violation could get them fined $1,000.

If you really owe this money, they will have to serve you and sue you civil court, but they cannot continue to call and bother you. If you don't owe the money, this should be the end of it all.

The Federal Trade Commission gives a wonderful overview of overaggressive and/or fake collection agencies and how to get them off of your back, where to report them, where to learn more, etc. And it is pretty straightforward. You can access that here.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0149-debt-collection

If these are out and out scammers, they may not respond to threats of Federal law, but you can simply ignore them and report them to our police, to your state attorney General, to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov Good luck!

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney