I have a questions regarding power of attorney. My motheris…

I have a questions...

I have a questions regarding power of attorney. My motheris 83 and recently diagnosed with dementia. I am going to need to take care of her financial stuff.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Nothing. My sister and I are on her bank account but that is the only step we have taken

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. Thanks

3/27/2018
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I'm very sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. My own father suffered from Alzheimer's so it's something I'm also personally familiar with. What questions can I answer for you about a Power of Attorney?

Did you no longer need assistance with this matter?

Good Afternoon
I am so very sorry for the delay. I had payment issues. I am unsure of exactly what i need to do. I assume a POA will allow me to sign documents and make financial decision on her behalf? I frequently need to speak with her credit card companies, utility providers etc and of course she has to authorize in advance which is becoming increasingly difficult. My older sister cannot be trusted so I am the only one that needs access to Mom's finances. What should i do regarding her final wishes as to refusing resuscitation, feeding tube etc? Thanks so much and again I apologize for the delay.
No problem, I just wasn’t sure if you had changed your mind. While a durable power of attorney can vary in scope, you are correct that as a general rule, they allow you to handle all financial matters for person, including their banking, taxes, handling their mail, speaking to creditors, paying bills and so forth. The reason you want a durable power of attorney is because it will still be valid through incapacity. I am also presuming in speaking with you that your mother is still in the early stages of dementia, and would be competent enough to understand what she is signing? If so, it is simply a matter of having the document prepared and having her execute it. Then, you would need to provide a copy to people and places like financial institutions, and potentially her creditors. With my father, I used to just tell them that I was the power of attorney, and would be happy to provide documentation, but they never asked to be honest.A Florida attorney could prepare a power of attorney for a limited amount of money, or there are numerous sites like law depot and rocket lawyer or LegalZoom where you can prepare it online and print it out and follow the instructions to make sure it is executed properly.With respect to her healthcare, I strongly recommend that you have your mother execute a designation of healthcare surrogate and a living will. A designation of health care surrogate will allow her to appoint a person or persons of her choosing to make healthcare decisions on her behalf should she not be able to do so, While a living will express is her wishes in the event she is terminal, such as a desire to not be kept alive through artificial means. Note that a do not recessitation order (DNR) cannot be put into a living will, and that is something you would have to ask her doctor about adding to her medical file.
RobertJDFL, Attorney
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
I realize I paid for the phone call but you have really answered all of my questions so the call is not necessary. Thanks so much.

Doesn't look like any expert accepted the phone call request, but I will send this to customer service to make sure that if you were charged for the phone call, that the charge is refunded.

I appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.