Having trouble with a pet shipper out of Flordia. No I am in…

Hi My name is*****...

Hi My name is***** and having trouble with a pet shipper out of Flordia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a FL lawyer about this?

No I am in El Centro CA 92243

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have followed their requirements I paid $500 for a hand raised Parrot out of Washington plus a fee or $175 for shipping, Then I get and email saying I need to buy a crate an d Medication the cost is $900 for the cheapest crate and $ 250 for medication. I was tld once they receive this refundable amount I would receive a shipping date, Now they say I need a Cities permit for $1,895. I told them this is not and out of country pet and request a shipping time or a full refund

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No sir I believe this to be a scam of some sorts

3/27/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Yup, you're absolutely right. This is a scam. The scammer is probably actually in Cameroon, which is where most of these pet scams come from. Here's how they work:

Typically, you answer an ad on Craigslist or on some pet finder site for an exotic pet. The ad promises that the animal is of high quality and well and will come with all of its papers. If there's a photo of the animal on the ad, the pup would appear to be of premium quality. The animal's price is well below the value that such a pet is worth.

The "sellers" come up with some plausible reason for the low fee, but you are told you will have to pay for the transport. You are required to wire the money via Western Union or MoneyGram -- or some other means that has no buyer protection, a huge red flag. You also can't see the pet before you have to put down your money or come and pick it up or choose the carrier. They select the means of transport and it will be an outfit you've never heard of which, in fact, doesn't really exist, as it turns out.

Once you pay the money, the "seller" will ask you for more. Typically, the bird turns out not to have quite all of his shots and so gets turned away from the plane. Or the shipping crate is to does not conform to code and you're told you will have to pay for another one. Or they will ask you to absorb the cost of insurance which was never mentioned before. That will cost you more money, and each time you pay them, there will be a request for even more.

Finally, if you keep paying, you will be told that the bird has arrived but either he is supposedly being held by the authorities, for which you'll have to pay to release him from his so-called quarantine or he has somehow landed in the wrong state or gone missing. Whatever, you will be told that it will cost you money to maintain or find the bird until it gets to you -- which, of course, it never does.

This too reasonably priced pet can cost you a staggering amount of money when all is said and done and there is no parrot and never was.You are dealing with con artists at a computer somewhere probably overseas looking to manipulate a pet lover into paying literally thousands of dollars for what was a too-good to be true deal you will never see because the parrot simply doesn't exist.

As for your money, well it's likely gone unless you paid by some means that gives you some buyer protection. If you can find out who and where your scammer really is, you can sue them for the return of your money, but the odds of that are remote.

You're a crime victim, however. So report this as a fraud, because that's all it is. Any so-called contract you have with them is not enforceable. Pay more money and you still won't see the parrot, and you'll never find this so-called seller or the shipper to get your money back because he will disappear into cyberspace and all information you've gotten from him will be fake.

However, as a crime victim, your losses are tax deductible. You can write off what you paid when you file your taxes for the 2018 tax year if the police and FBI come up with nothing. The FBI has a special website for internet related crime called the Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.IC3.gov. There they collect data on scam and distribute information to law enforcement agencies all over the world.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Thanks I know this is money lost but will follow your advice thanks again for your time . Steve

You're very welcome!