I am the owner seller of contract for deed in Illinois. The…

I am the owner...

I am the owner seller of contract for deed in Illinois. The contract is 5 months old and the buyers have committed a crime and are in jail waiting on court system they are facing a very long time in jail. Can i cancel the contract if so how or do i do that, Do i have to go thru eviction court since they only have paid about 4 percent of the purchase price

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No just found out that they are in jail today

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an IL lawyer about this?

No

3/27/2018
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
ok

You have to go through judicial foreclosure and eviction.You are likely going to need local lawyer to do all of this.

If the buyer should default on the contract by failing to make scheduled payments on time, the relief options that are available to the buyer depend on how much the buyer has paid toward the purchase price of the home. Under Illinois law, if the buyer owes less than 80 percent of the original agreed-upon amount for the home, the seller must file a notice of foreclosure. In this case, the buyer will be served a notice of foreclosure and has a set number of days in which to bring the payments current in order to prevent losing their home. If however, the buyer owes more than 80 percent of the purchase price, the seller may file for a simple eviction. In this case, the buyer receives an order to vacate, usually within 30 days. In either case, the buyer loses all rights to monies applied toward the purchase of the home if ordered to vacate.

Responsibility for Repairs

Under the laws of Illinois, the buyer is responsible for all repairs that are necessary to the home during the term of the contract. These repairs may include the replacement of windows, roofing and siding, as well as minor repairs to appliances, flooring and walls. The only exception to this law is if the buyer can show through clear and convincing evidence that the home was in need of the repairs prior to the time of purchase and that the buyer purposefully failed to disclose the needed repairs to the buyer at the time of purchase.

If this can be shown, a judge may order the seller to make the necessary repairs or reimburse the buyer for the cost of having them done.

Lawyer for you here

Chicago Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service
Website: http://www.chicagobar.org
The Chicago Bar Association
321 S Plymouth Ct
Chicago, IL 60604
Phone:(###) ###-####br />TTY:(###) ###-####/p>

The Lawyer Referral Service sponsored by the Chicago Bar Association serves individuals in Chicago, and the surrounding areas of Cook County, DuPage County, and Lake County, Illinois.

DuPage County Bar Association's Lawyer Referral & Mediation Service
Website: https://dcba.site-ym.com/?page=FindLawyer
126 South County Farm Road
Wheaton, IL###-##-####br />Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

The lawyer referral service sponsored by the DuPage County Bar Association helps individuals and businesses in DuPage County, Kane County, Cook County, Kendall County, Lake County, McHenry County and Will County, Illinois.

Kane County Bar Association "Find A Lawyer" Service
Website: http://www.kanecountybar.org/find-a-lawyer
555 S. Randall Road, Suite 205
St. Charles, IL 60174
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

The Kane County Bar Association sponsors a "Find a Lawyer" Service to helps individuals find an attorney throughout Kane County, Illinois and the surrounding counties of DeKalb, Kendall, DuPage, Cook, Lake, McHenry, Will, and Winnebago.

Lake County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service
Website: http://www.lakecountylawyer.info/*****STE A
Waukegan, IL 60085
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

The Lake County Bar Association maintains an online Lawyer Referral Service. The Lawyer Referral Service helps the public find a qualified attorney throughout Lake County, McHenry County and Cook County, Illinois.

Northwest Suburban Bar Association Attorney Referral Service
Website: http://www.nwsba.org/
800 E. Northwest Highway
Suite 502
Palatine, IL 60074
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

The Attorney Referral Service of the Northwest Suburban Bar Association helps the public find an attorney practicing in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, Illinois and throughout Cook County.

Peoria County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service
Website: https://peoriabar.org/pcba-lawyer-referral
110 SW Jefferson Avenue
Suite 520
Peoria, Illinois 61602(###) ###-####br />Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

The Lawyer Referral Service of the Peoria County Bar Association serves Peoria County and Tazewell County, IL.

Will County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service
Website: http://willcountybar.org/legal-community/lawyer-referral-program
167 N. Ottawa St., Suite 200
Joliet, IL 60432(###) ###-####or(###) ###-####/p>

The Lawyer Referral Service of the Will County Bar Associations serves Joliet and Will County, IL.

Winnebago County Bar Association "Find a Lawyer" Service
Website: http://www.wcbarockford.org/referalCat.asp
Rockford, IL
Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

Although not a Lawyer Referral Service, the Winnebago County Bar Association manages a "Find a Lawyer" feature on its website that allows the public to search for an attorney by practice area. The Find a Lawyer directories covers both Winnebago County and Boone County, Illinois.

Illinois State Bar Illinois (ISBA) Lawyer Referral Service
ISBA's Springfield Office
Illinois Bar Center
Website: http://www.illinoislawyerfinder.com/
424 S. Second Street
Springfield, IL###-##-####br />Toll Free:(###) ###-####br />Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

The Illinois State Bar Illinois (ISBA) manages IllinoisLawyerFinder.com. The Lawyer Referral Service helps people find an attorney throughout the state using the automatic online directory or the phone referral service.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Ray, Lawyer
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I all ready knew those options I was hoping there was another option but didn't think there was you just confirmed that. Thanks anyway
Ray, Lawyer