I was divorced in 2011 and the judge stated in my divorce…

I was divorced in 2011...
I was divorced in 2011 and the judge stated in my divorce decree that I was restored to the use of my former name but I never changed my name from my married name to my maiden name and now after so many years I rather keep using my married name how can I make this my legal name
3/27/2018
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You can do this yourself by filing application for name change.,Here are the forms to do that

https://www.dccourts.gov/services/judge-in-chambers/application-change-name

Once you get the orders at hearing you are legally suing the name from that point forward.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

you do understand that everything I have is in my married name and to keep my married name regardless of what the divorce decree states all I would need to do is submit an application for a name change

Yes and a short 10 minute hearing in front of judge here, its not that hard.You can do it and fix this yourself.

Thanks for the followup and chance to help you.If you can rate 5 stars at top of page it is much appreciated.Have a great afternoon.

Would i need to provide any documents with my maiden name on it in order to say that I’m trying to legally change my name to my married name because the only thing I have is my birth certificate

Birth certificate would be enough here.Really its simple thing , lots of people do it.

Do I also need to take my divorce decree since it says that my name should be my former name which is the name on my birth certificate

Yes I would bring that too just in case.Thanks for the followup.

Ray, Lawyer