In South Carolina you give up parental rights and have no…

In South Carolina you...

In South Carolina you give up parental rights and have no visitation do you still pay child support ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in SC family court?

Already had divorce , but my daughter got addicted to opiods after back surgery and lost everything.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/27/2018
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. The answer to this question depends on whether there is actually a court order terminating or approving the termination of parental rights. Do you know if there is such an order? This order would be different than simply awarding custody to one parent.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
She said she did have to sign over parental rights in the court

If there was an actual termination of her parental rights then as far as the law is concerned, she is no longer a parent to the child. Thus, she would have no visitation, no child support obligation, and she typically would have been removed from the child's birth certificate as the mother. You will just want to be sure that it was actually a termination of rights rather than just giving up custody. There is no way to be sure which one without seeing the court's order, which would have either accepted her signed relinquishment of her rights or her agreement to give up custody. There is a very large legal distinction between these two types of giving up parental rights. If she is able to do so, she should attempt to get a copy of the relevant court order and I would be happy to look at it or you may be able to tell by reading it which of these things actually occurred.

I hope this helps. If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Lawyer