Can the servant owner of my easement put three gates on it…

Can the servant owner...

Can the servant owner of my easement put three gates on it in a attempt to stop me and my family from using it?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

Not really I tried to get my title company to help

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Wa

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They have tried to get a court order to stop us but failed But now they put in two gates and started a third one

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Does the language of the easement give them exclusive use of the easement? Or does it state that you'll be sharing it with them?

Its non exclusive

Thank you.

Then no, they can't put up gates. An easement for ingress/egress is just that. They can't build anything on it. They couldn't even plant flowers unless the easement allows it. You can try sending a demand letter, giving them one chance to remove the gates, or you'll take them to court. Or you could sue them for an order requiring them to remove the gates and pay to restore the easement (filling in any holes, etc).

Technically, the gates are a fixture on your land, which means that they belong to you. So you could also remove them and sue your neighbor for the cost.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started