What are the requirements for the escrow account that the…

what are the requirements for...
what are the requirements for the escrow account that the landlord needs to establish to save my deposit. is it a special account at the bank or is it just a normal account?
3/27/2018
Nisha Jones

Hi again!

Just a reminder that JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice.

Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

An escrow account is a specially designated account at a bank.

Also yes, under Georgia state law your landlord is required to place your security deposit in an escrow account.

The other option is posting a surety bond but that is more unconventional, typically a tenant's security deposit is held in an escrow account in a bank.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Nisha Jones
what can i do if the landlord has failed to put my security deposit in an escrow account?

Unfortunately there isn't really a cause of action for a situation like that and it isn't a criminal offense, it only becomes relevant if your landlord fails to return your security deposit within 1 month of your lease termination.

Has your landlord failed to return your security deposit?

i am worried that he will not

If your landlord did not return your security deposit, then your remedy would be to sue in small claims court.

This is true regardless of whether the security deposit is properly held in an escrow account or not. Even if your security deposit is in an escrow account, you still need your landlord to authorize the release of those funds.

You can access the Georgia state laws on landlords and security deposits here:

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-44/chapter-7/article-2/

I hope that helps!

it does thanks!

You're welcome, no problem!

Feel free to reach out to me again if you have any more questions in the future, just remember to add "For Nisha" to the first part of your question.

Have a great day!