A woman has completely ruined my reputation I cannot go

Customer Question
A woman has completely...

A woman has completely ruined my reputation I cannot go anywhere that people don’t start laughing this has gone on for a month now it’s causing me to be extremely depressed

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Kentucky

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Legal
3/27/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 25 days ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 25 days ago

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 25 days ago

Based on the information you've shared, it sounds as though you may have grounds for a defamation lawsuit.

These are the elements to a defamation suit:

• the defendant made a false and defamatory statement concerning the plaintiff
  • the defendant made an unprivileged publication to a third party
  • the publisher acted at least negligently in publishing the communication
    • (this can be verbal, it does not necessarily have to be written publication
  • the plaintiff suffered damages

If you feel that you would like to proceed with filing a defamation lawsuit against this person, then you can contact the Kentucky State Bar for a referral to a civil lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

(502)(###) ###-####/strong>

Civil attorneys often do not require any payment up front, but work on a contingency fee basis, so it most likely would not cost you anything out of pocket to pursue a lawsuit against this individual.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 24 days ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones