I have a term in my lease agreement that i need to know if…

I have a term...

I have a term in my lease agreement that i need to know if it is valid

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Alpharetta, ga

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, it is about a termination clause that does not seem to be complete.

3/27/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Can you tell me a bit more about your situation or the particular clause you have a question about? Thanks!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
according to this term, do it have to pay a termination fee and when do i have to pay it
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
my reading is that the term gives me the right to cancel early, that's it

According to your lease, you do have to pay an early termination fee if you break your lease and decide to leave early.

The fee for this is $3000 and you are required to give your landlord 60 days advance notice.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
when do i have to pay it?

Your lease doesn't stipulate but usually it's paid prior to move out, or at move-out, no later than that.

Your landlord could potentially file a suit against you in small claims court if you moved out without having paid the early termination fee.

Unless you two come to some other mutually agreeable date, which you should be sure to get in writing.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
even though the terms are not checked in the leave, they are valid. neither a, b, c, or d are checked. what is to say d was not the clause we agreed on

Yes it's still considered valid and enforceable, since those boxes have the written in amount even though they were not checked off (which was most likely just an oversight).

For example, (D) wouldn't be the box because none of the corresponding information is filled in.

These terms often serve to help a tenant as well, because they put a cap on how much the landlord can potentially sue to recover.

I hope that helps clarify!

Don't forget to rate, thanks!

Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones
Nisha Jones