My husband has a private medical practice, I am listed as…

My husband has a...

My husband has a private medical practice, I am listed as one of the authorized users on his business accounts. I have an outstanding private student loan that I have defaulted on. They have already garnished money out of my personal checking account. My question is: can they take money out of my husbands business account since I am listed as a user on the account?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Should I take myself off of my husands business account?

3/27/2018
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

The creditor cannot levy on the business account because it is not your asset.

If my reply is fast and acceptable, please reply "yes"

just to be clear they cannot get a court order to garnish the funds out the business checking and saving account, although I am listed as authorized user of the account. note: i am not listed as owner or co owner of business itself. It is all in my husbands name.

correct, you are only a user, its not your funds.

Kindly take a moment to rate me 5 stars for the answers.

INFOLAWYER, Attorney