Can a person get a quit claim deed if one of the parties is…

Can a person get...

Can a person get a quit claim deed if one of the parties is mentally incapacitated in Massachusetts?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a MA lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

A family member who has power of fattourney has redone a will and had a quit claim deed done on the property I own jointly with my mom

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Do I have any recourse?

3/27/2018
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer

G​ood morning. I am a legal expert who will assist you today. Please give me more details. Who is on the deed and who in incapacitated?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
My mother Shirley Page and myself David Page are on the deed. My mother has become mentally incapacitated
The original deed was that I would get the house in the event of her death, should I preceded her in death all would revert back to her.
It is my sister who has placed a quit claim deed.

O​k. Is your mother in Massachusetts also?

I am working on your answer.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I would say call but my phone reception can be erratic

Its fine. I will type your answer.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

In Massachusetts you could dispute this new will and property transfer on the basis of fraud, duress, or undue influence, or that she lacked capacity to sign.

You would need to prove that she was acting under duress due to her illness at the time she executed the deed such that its execution was invalid in order to prevail.

Proving that she lacked capacity to transfer the property based upon her failing health and mental faculties may not be that difficult since you have medical records tending to show her health.

So, you could challenge the transfer of the deed and the new will signing, but but it's a very high standard, clear and convincing evidence. If you feel you have the proof necessary, then you certainly can bring a suit challenging the transfer even before she passes away.

This is a very complicated action to file and you would need to hire a local attorney to file and pursue the action in court against your sister.

I hope this helps.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you for your help

You're welcome. Please don't forget to rate the question.

KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer