I bought an simi- automatic asult-rifle for my grandson when…

I bought an simi-...

I bought an simi- automatic asult-rifle for my grandson when he was 16 he is 22 now it is registered in my name he was living with me when he was moving out I did not want gun to leave house until it was registered in his name so I was no longer responsible for it

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

My son lives here and wraseled with him to keep him from taking it and was arrested

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I didn’t get a chance to take any steps because of the situation Am I legally responsible for it since it is registered in my name

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Yes, since the rifle is registered in your name you are legally responsible for it.

If your grandson still refuses to return it, you can contact the police and report it as stolen and let them know that the firearm is in your grandson's possession.

They can then have it returned to you, or he could be arrested for failure to do so, in which case the gun would be seized and then returned to you.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Nisha Jones
Even though it was gifted to him at his birthday? Waiting on call when will u call
Phone call session started

I've just received your phone call request, please expect my call within the next few minutes. Thanks!