My tenant of 20 years passed away rent was paid till end of…

Customer Question
My tenant of 20...

My tenant of 20 years passed away rent was paid till end of December I gave family till end of February to remove things from house house was left in very bad shape tried tocall them a number of times no response had to get in there and clean signs of mice nicotine on walls dog feces all around smell was terrible march I moved things that were left to garage and threw out old food and papers and garbage 3 25 the step brother of the deceased son came and broke in and started to remove things even things that belonged to the house washer dryer fridge called police they made him put washerdryerback what are myrights to the rest of thethings abandend and shouldn't they really owe me rent forstorage of things

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Pennsylvania

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

The police told them they had to comeback sat ten amwith the son of the deceased and takeeverything thatbelongs to them

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We never had a lease with the deceased

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Legal
3/27/2018
Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 28 days ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank u if I can fill in any blanks just ask

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Here is what you need to do under PA law:

1) If the lease had a provision in it about abandoned property then you only need to give the tenant's family 30 days to pick up the property. After that it is abandoned and you can do what you want with it.

2) If your lease is silent then:

You must send a written Notice to the family. The notice must state they have ten days from the date of the postmarked notice to claim the property. The notice must also state that if you don’t hear from them within the ten days, then you will dispose of the property. The notice needs include: a description of the abandoned property, the location where the tenant can claim the property, and a statement that reasonable storage and moving costs will be charged after ten days.

You can send the notice by regular mail.

Here is a link to the law:

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/US/HTM/2012/0/0129..HTM

You can also sue the estate for the damages, but it sounds like there is probably no money to get.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

I need to go offline for the night. If you have additional questions I will respond to them tomorrow. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

If you are satisfied with the information please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I havealot more questions toaskyouthere was noleaseasfaras

You can post your follow up questions - even if I am offline. I will respond when I return.

If there was no lese the you send a written notice (letter) to the family contact that you have. Tell them they have 10 days to arrange for the removal of his property. You can also tell them how much they owe you for the damages to the apartment and the storage of the personal property.

After the ten days you can dispose of the property (sell it, throw it away, donate it, keep it).

You can sue the estate of your tenenat for the damage to your property - but if he didn't have any money it is probably not worth it.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer